New Years 2014. It's Time.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014


My husband has this uncanny ability to not care what people think.  I mean, he cares and is caring, but he knows when he doesn't have to care. You know?  I admire him for this, a great deal, I wish I could do the same.  The photo above, I purposely posted this on instagram and again here. I can't stand my profile, but I need to learn to love it.  Because it makes me who I am.

I care too much and it can be so absolutely paralyzing that it's beyond frustrating.  It holds me back, it keeps me from reaching for what I want.

To be honest, I've kinda had it.

A funny thing happens when you hit your 30s, it's almost like you get a reset in some ways.  For me, my 30s have been the years in which I can plainly see (for the most part) what parts of my life need changing.  Caring too much about what others think is at the forefront and thinking too much.  I often put too much thought into things.

I recently read Aerin Lauder's book: Beauty At Home.  It was exactly the book that I needed to read at this exact time.  It really struck a chord with me.  As I read her words, I not only read what was written, but heard what she was saying (does this sound absolutely crazy?!).  Basically there are rules, which I knew need to be broken from time to time, but I finally got the meaning of this while reading her book. Something just "clicked".

With the New Year upon us and time taken to reflect, I'm beyond excited for 2014.  I am so excited, truly.

I'm ready to take more risks with my decor.  I know it's my house and I can do what I want, but I keep holding back, compromising what I really want to do because I'm too scared to get it wrong.  And then it never looks quite right.


My focus will be on the living room and dining room (pictured above). There are a few bare walls and they are and have always driven me absolutely insane. I have chosen some art, just need to buy it & hang it (why is it so stressful to hang art on walls?!).

So, here's to 2014.  Who knows what's in store, but I'm gonna at least give it my all.

Happy New Year, friends.

Cheers,

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Julie! You have a lovely profile and you are absolutely gorgeous :) But I get what you mean, I actually hate my profile too. As the saying goes, we're our own worst critics. I'm also guilty of overthinking every single thing and my fiance balances me since he's the opposite. It's good to have someone understand you and help you grow!

    I can't wait to see what changes you have coming up for the new year. I hope 2014 brings you continued happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! You are lovely, your profile is lovely, your freckles are lovely and let's not even start on your hair. Kudos to learning to love yourself even more! xo
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I have no idea what you're talking about because your profile is gorgeous, seriously, you're beautiful! And I have to say that I wish I could just freeze myself in the 30's because they are fantastic, I feel like you finally hit that stage where you just don't care about what others think (just the way your husband feels) and you have 100% confidence in yourself.
    Happy New Year Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas