Touches of Fall in the Family Room

Wednesday, October 15, 2014



Let me tell you a little secret.  I don't really decorate all that much for fall.  Yes, true.  Now, I do style the table for Thanksgiving dinner of course and we do have pumpkins and decorations on the front porch, but otherwise you won't find too much fall decor.  It's more about adding cozy layers and swapping out the more "summery" accessories & flowers for some that are better suited for the fall months.  The real decorating happens in November for, yes....Christmas.

As you know, my plan is to go with touches of purple, navy and grey, pretty much the same as last year's Christmas tablescape.  I just love this combo so much, especially for the fall & winter months.

This past weekend, I got to switching things over in the family room and finished things up yesterday.  And here's the result!




The linen pillows and grey throw are perfect for the fall months.  A little texture and a little softness, and well, the colours are bang on!  I love that they are feather filled...nothing like feather pillows that you can easily shape for added comfort.  I found the plaid fabric at our local Fabricland sometime last year and sewed together some pillow covers.


those gold pinecones are so perfect, I've got some in nearly every room of the house! Found at HomeSense




votive holder (that I'm using as a vase) from HomeSense



You may recognize the cloche on the coffee table, plus the rolled edged hurricane and florals on the side table from the Thanksgiving tablescape post.  I love that these pieces can be used in any room, well after the holiday dinner.  Once dinner is over, spread the love to the rest of the house!  I'm all about multipurpose items (like using a votive holder as a vase), a great way to save money!

I added some fresh water to the vases in the cloche, and divided the floral centerpiece into a few different bunches but otherwise, everything stayed the same.



can we talk about how ah-mazing the November issue of House and Home is?!  I can't put it down!

even Hootie may his way back to the family room


We have a couple of baskets in the family room that are specifically for the throws when they aren't on the couch.  I love the look of throws casually draped over the couch (as seen in the photos above) just as much as I love the look of them in the baskets.  I just really don't want them on the floor and they aren't always needed/wanted on the couch, so the baskets were a quick and easy solution.

We also keep our extra pillows or pillows that aren't wanted by the person sitting on the couch (I'm the lone fan of the pillows in our house) under the coffee table.  They don't always end up under the coffee table though! ha! #truth







I removed the vase from the pumpkin centerpiece and moved it onto the kitchen table, along with a little owl from HomeSense and a small decorative pumpkin.  Aren't mini pumpkins the best?!

Can I just tell you how happy I am with these flowers?  I bought them at a local grocery store!  You can pick three bunches for $20, then the florist takes the bunches that you've selected apart and puts them back together into one arrangement.  So affordable and I love that it's a custom look!



Some of the pieces in the family room will be moved around once I start decorating for the holidays.  I'm reaaalllly looking forward to getting some great string lights a la Restoration Hardware for the hurricane vase and styling the dressers beside the fireplace, which I didn't really change for fall, which is why they aren't pictured!  Another #truth.

Do you go all out and decorate for fall?  I have to admit that I'm getting excited to start decorating for Christmas....I know, I know, but really, I am.

Cheers,


3 comments:

  1. I am in looooove with those plaid pillows. I have scoured the internet for hours looking for some similar and have came up with no such luck. Any chance I can convince you to make me a set?! haha

    Love the pops of gray and purple for fall and winter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas