Thanksgiving Tablescape - Keeping it Casual

Friday, October 10, 2014




It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada, and you guys, this is one of my favourite holidays.  I see it as being the official kick off to my fav season, fall and the kick off to the holiday season.  And what better way than to start with a holiday where we give thanks.

I've started switching things up a bit around the house, transitioning from summer to fall & winter.  The plaid cushions are making their way out from beneath the coffee table, the comfy throws are being placed where they can easily be reached.  I adore this time of year so much (counting down to Downton, yes?!).


Though we enjoyed our dinner early, I wanted to share some tablescape inspiration with you!  My goal for the Thanksgiving tablescape was to keep it simple (no placemats even!), make it cozy and to decorate with items that would encourage conversation and long chats...to add elements that remind us of the little, everyday things that we have to be thankful for.  And I love the idea of using stoneware vs china.

Don't you just love holiday dinners and how the entire family gathers around?  Truly priceless.  

The colour palette, one that I've been obsessed with for the past year....blues, purples with touches of gold.  Yum.   These colours can be found throughout the house for the fall/winter months.  They are perfect.

dinnerare - Chapters Indigo  (c/o), cutlery - Chapters Indigo (c/o), table runner - fabric from Fabricland

The flower arrangements in the cloches are made with some hydrangeas and sedum from our gardens (plus a few extra leftovers from a bouquet that hubs bought me earlier in the week).   I also placed some pieces of the decorative grass from our garden here and there.

We found the birch branches while out on a hike in the forest.  They sit perfectly in this rolled edged hurricane along with a flameless candle.   I felt like I hit the jackpot when I spotted those branches!  Birch branches are so perfect for fall/winter decorating.  They were in a pile of dead wood, so I was happy to give them a new home!



clochehurricane - Chapters Indigo c/o, gold pinecones - HomeSense


Both the cloche and rolled edged hurricane are from Chapters Indigo.  I love the fact that they can be used well after dinner is over the holiday has passed.  Plus, the possilibities are endless.  You can display almost anything in them, making them a go-to all year round in any room in the house.


Over on our sideboard sits a delicious pumpkin pie (patiently waiting to be devoured) on this gorgeous pedestal.   The owl vase (named Hootie) adds a pop of colour carried from the floral arrangement at the center of the table.

acacia wood pedestal - Chapters Indigo c/o; Owl vase - Michaels

white square vase - Bowring


Speaking of the centerpiece, I knew that I wanted to give this one a-go after seeing this masterpiece by Chatelaine.  Oh goodness, so stunning.  White pumpkins used to be hard to find, but I found this guy at Walmart for $5.  You guys, I have a feeling that this won't be the last time that I do this!

Candelabra - Williams Sonoma (old)


woven tray - HomeSense


The wine is ready to be poured.  The dessert has been baked.  The meal has been chosen.  All that's left to do is to gather around the table and give thanks for the amazingness that surrounds us every day.

We are so thankful.


cutting board and votive holder - HomeSense



Wishing all of my Canadian friends a very lovely Thanksgiving. xo

Cheers,
Julie

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie! Your fall tablescape is stunning!!! Great choice of colour scheme, the colours all blend together beautifully. Love your centrepiece, I'm beginning to feel inspired to create this look from Chatelaine too. Chapters/Indigo has so many great new items for fall decorating, and I love the way you've styled everything.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas