DIY Mosquito Repelling Planter Box

Thursday, May 25, 2017


I can't even begin to tell you how much I despise the sound and company of mosquitos.  I'm horrible, the minute mosquitos start being an issue, I will do all I can to keep them away!


In an effort to naturally repel this pesky insects, I decided that for this week's Outdoor Extravaganza post, that I was going to use some scrap wood that we had leftover from a previous project to make a planter box.  After doing a little reading, I learned that lavender not only looks beautiful and has an incredible scent, but mosquitos don't like it at all!  Other great natural repellants include citronella, lemon thyme, lemon grass and marigolds to name a few.





Here's what you need to make the planter box:

  • wood
  • screws
  • stain (I used Provincial by Minwax)
  • plastic
  • tools - measuring tape, drill or screwdriver, saw (or you can have the wood cut to size in store)

As mentioned, I used leftover wood that we had here at the house.  A pine fence board would give you the same look, or you could use pine for a less rustic finish.  Either option would be between $4-$10 a board.  I chose measurements (22.5" for the sides and bottom and 6 1/4" for the ends (five pieces in total)) that would allow me to use the one piece I had.  I also happened to have some leftover deck screws, so I used them.  Because I knew that this was going outside, I didn't mind that it didn't look "perfect".

Once you have your wood cut to size, you can screw the pieces together.  I made the mistake of not pre-drilling my holes and cracked one of the pieces, so don't be like me, take the time to pre-drill holes!  I also made some drainage holes in the bottom of the box.

After your box is put together, use your stain of choice to stain the entire piece except for the inside.  I did add stain to the top 2" just so that it would look good if the dirt didn't go to the top.


You may want to add some plastic to protect the wood.  I drilled a few drainage holes, and then I made sure to make a hole through the plastic so that the holes would do their job!




Now it's time to add your dirt and flowers!  I placed some rocks at the bottom of the planter box to help with drainage and then filled the box with dirt.  This is the first time that I've ever planted lavender, so I may have planted one (or two) too many!  The spacing requirements are more than I gave the plants. If they become too crowded, I'll move them to other planter and scatter them around the sitting area.  


Once the lavender is in full bloom, they will be much taller and have those beautiful purple flowers!  Some white alyssum will fill in the gaps and cover the dirt.  You could also use lobelia for this or add some beautiful pea gravel.   The lavender would look amazing on it's own too!


Now it's time to sit back and admire your new planter!  Go you! 











The rest of the participants have been SO creative this week!  Be sure to take a peek here:


Wire Orb Topiary DIY by Craftberry Bush
Farmhouse Painted Chair by Making it in the Mountains
Distressed Wood Outdoor Side Table by Satori Design for Living
Split Rail Fence by The Happy Housie

And now it's almost your turn to show us spring projects!  Tomorrow I'll be sharing details about the link up party, so be sure to pop by for to participate! 

Cheers,

SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. This turned out beautifully, and I love that it repels those pesky mosquitos! I have tonnes of lavender planted in our yard, so maybe that's why we don't have a big problem with them. Ants, they're another story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! The planter is perfect and I love lavender anyway ;) I had no idea they were an insect repellent!
    Hugs, Jamie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas