Kiddo 1's Bedroom Makeover - The Reveal!

Thursday, March 17, 2016


Well, this post should have been written months ago!  It's so funny, because I took the photos on two separate days...weeks apart, and you'll notice that in some of the photos, kiddo 1's bedside table is close to the door and then in others, it's against the wall.  That's what happens when you stall on photographing a space, it evolves and changes between shoots! Oh man....anyhow, without further ado, here are the results of kiddo 1's bedroom makeover!

Here's the before:




And the after:












Orange pillow - HomeSense//Orange paint on frame - FAT Paint (c/o)//Bison Print - Anewall//Green Frame - IKEA//Bedside Table - IKEA//Lamp - HomeSense//Bedding - Aura Home (c/o)

The primary focus was to spend little money (ha, truth) and to make the room more efficient and keep an airy feel.  We changed the layout, to keep from having every single piece of furniture pushed against the walls.  I purchased a pair of the ever popular Vittsjo shelves from IKEA to flank his desk (also from IKEA).  I chose to remove the glass shelves that came with the units and replaced them with wooden ones, which I stained after having them cut to size.  Truth is, I thought I could get away with wood shelves that were the same width as the glass, the next size up would have left a little bit of a lip above the frame.  Of course, there's a bit of sag now because the wood isn't strong enough to hold heavier items.  We just work around it, not stacking a slew of books on one shelf, etc.  So it's not awful, and we could add some support in the centre of the shelves, but just so you know if you chose to go that route as well.

We kept the desk & chair that he had before, they work, but I'd love to eventually replace both for something vintage, maybe even just the chair.  The bedding from Aura is super cozy.  I love the pattern and especially love the orange piping, a colour that we ended up carrying throughout the room.

The biggest change was by far the stripes.  I am SO happy with how they turned out!  I was extremely nervous, but after testing out over 5 paint colours, this blue was the one and boy does it ever add a great focal point to the room.  I also love that you can see it in the mirror when you walk into his room.  Speaking of the mirror, I chose to hang it above the desk for that exact reason, to make the room feel a tad bit bigger.  Does the job!

My favourite decor piece in the room is his very first baseball glove.  Oh my heart.  I picked up the case from Michaels.  We are a big baseball family (hence the hats on either end of his bed!) so we had to include touches of baseball in the room.

We bought the dresser, desk and chair when we first moved into the house.  I now wish I had waited and purchased a dresser that was shorter and wider, like this.  It would provide him with more space to display items, with the larger top.  I also think it wouldn't have such a "heavy" feel to it.

I still need to switch out the lighting and hang up some awesome blue hooks that I picked up (they'll go behind his door).  They will give him a place to easily hang up sweaters or hats vs placing them on his bed.  The bed frame could have gone, but there's nothing wrong with it, so it stays for now.  A little more art to hang (sports related, of course) and then that's that!

He's so happy with it, there's a bean bag chair on the left side of his bed where he loves to hang out.  I'm happy that he's content with the space and finds it so cozy.   Now to move onto the other kidlets' rooms!  Hopefully it won't take me as long to finish! oy!

Cheers,

7 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the shelves and the strikes turned out awesome. Did you have trouble with the paint bleeding? I worry about that.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything about this room! You did a wonderful job. I like how you incorprotaed the colour organge to jazz it up.

    Seema
    www.glimpse3sixty.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The design looks awesome. The color combination of the room so eye catchy and seems like it has adequate light and air flow.
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much admin is already providing the information to us and here we are sorry permission to share articles may be useful

    Obat kaki kebas
    cara mengatasi darah tersumbat
    cara menyembuhkan mata minus

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm constantly searching on the internet for posts that will help me. Too much is clearly to learn about this. I believe you created good quality items in Functions also. Keep working, congrats! "green" paints & stains

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas