Kiddo 1's Bedroom - Progress Report

Monday, April 27, 2015

We are still in the super early planning stages of kiddo 1's bedroom makeover.   I'm currently on the hunt for the perfect shelving solution to flank his desk, once I have those chosen, I can get on to finalizing the remaining pieces.  I'm debating two options right now, but I really need to get to the stores to see the items in person.

With that, here are a couple of mood boards that I put together.  We already have the desk (except his desk has white legs), the desk chair (I may swap this one out for a vintage wooden one if I can find it), bed and dresser.  Everything else needs to be purchased.  Not shown are the roman shades that I hope to make (neutral fabric with blue band) and I haven't really decided on a bedside table (will either be grey to match the shelving or wood).  The walls are currently a nice & light shade of grey, actually, all of the kids' rooms are the same colour!  It was an easy choice that I knew we could work with later on vs stressing to choose colours in the few days we had to select everything for the house.

In the first image I've pulled the shelving from Ikea, the mirror is also from Ikea.  The pillow and pouf (round circle at the foot of the bed) fabrics from Tonic Living and bedding from West Elm.  I love how the bedding ties in with the shelving.  Storage is key here.  He loves to display his Lego creations and Star Wars toys, we want to give him ample space to do just that!



For image two, we swapped out the Ikea shelves for iron shelves from Restoration Hardware.



I really see the space with open shelving, but I'm also considering bookcases which would include some fab DIYing.  See, I told you that we were still in the early stages!  I'll get there!

I've ordered a slew of fabric swatches from Tonic Living and I think it will really help to choose the right fabrics once I can put them against the paint chip.  The blue on the walls was all his choice, he's pretty stoked about it!  And as I mentioned in the first post, he's wanting to go with just blue, which is totally fine but that's why there's not much more colour in here (took some convincing to add the green mirror, which will beautifully reflect the striped wall!).  The addition of accessories, lighting and art will really bring this room together!  The finishing details will be key.

What we need:
  • new bedding (duvet and cover)
  • pillows
  • pouf
  • bedside table
  • shelving (preferably open for an airy feel, but we'll see!)
  • roman shade
  • artwork & frames
  • baskets for shelves
  • blue and white striped wall (wall that bed is on)
  • task lighting (bedside and desk)
  • metal hooks to place behind door for hats
I think that's it for now!  Don't forget, you can always follow along on Pinterest to see the inspiration for this space! It will be interesting to see how close these moodboards end up being to the finished product!  We will have to compare them once the room is done.

Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it finished! You have a beautiful touch! I wish you could help my kiddos rooms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you end up DIYing those shelving units! They look great. I love that you have dark toned wood paired with all that blue - it's one of my fave colour combos lately; I have a few images with that colour scheme tacked onto my inspiration board at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas