Framing It With Ikea and Hardware Prettiness.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Giddy up, I'm back!

So last week, we were able to get to Ottawa which meant that I was able to hit a few stores that we don't have here.  Ikea was first on my list and Lee Valley Tools was second.

I wish I was able to get to an Ikea more easily, though truth be told, it's probably a good thing that there isn't one here. My bank account is much better off with the distance! ha!

Anyhow, I really needed to get some frames.  You see, the ones that I had placed beside the gold mirror just weren't working for me.  Actually, the set up isn't working for me at all.  At first I thought it was just the frames and art, but I've come to realize that it's more than the frames, it's the side tables too, they need to be replaced.  I am currently on the hunt for a new pair.  Looking forward to seeing what I can find to fit the space.  I'm thinking gold, with a glass top, but will not limit myself to that, I always love a great vintage piece, so we shall see what I end up with.

Back to the frames.  My original plan was to hang the prints by Gaby Burger beside the mirror, an idea that I absolutely loved, they were meant to go there.  But the frames I had purchased were too small, so I hung up another set of frames and placed the prints elsewhere. Fast forward to our trip to Ikea and the purchase of new frames and this is what we've got:


Bam!  I kept the original mat that came with the frame, but added a black one to frame the print and absolutely love the end result!  I'm now toying with the idea of adding some library lights above the prints.  This thought is currently being processed. I will get back to you with the decision once it's been made.

So, the square frames that were once hanging beside the mirror were given a little makeover.  I then made some art to put in them and tada!  Here they are in the dining room, filling in the little awkward corner:


Again, super happy with the way they turned out.  I'm still trying to find the perfect piece to hang at the end of the table, beside the two gold frames.  I have two pieces in mind and will once again get back to you on this once I decide what to do.

I have been dying to get to Lee Valley Tools for months now.  They have a fabulous selection of hardware if you're in the market.  Our vintage dining room set was in desperate need of some new hardware, like, I only had one intact handle left on the long top drawer, and Lee Valley Tools was the place to go.  Only thing, since it took me so long to get to a store, the prices had jumped significantly on the set that I had chosen.  It turned out to be not so bad though because after seeing them in person, I wasn't sure that they were a good match.

I did however fall in love with this little gem:



I loved how it mimicked the lattice on the hutch doors.  They are just super pretty.  I wasn't too sold on the matching handles, but the price was right and they weren't horrid or anything, so I bought them.  Here's a picture of the hutch with the old & new hardware.


The new hardware is definitely much better than the old pieces, actually, I'm quite amazed by how much of an impact the new look has had on the space.  That being said, I'm still debating the drawer handles, thinking that I may have been better off sticking to my original game plan...Hepplewhite pulls.  The good thing is that I have time to decide.  I'm also contemplating adding some beautiful chinoiserie inspired wallpaper to the inside back of the hutch, to brighten things up.  Yes? No?  To decide.

So progress, good progress, which makes me happy.  It may take me time to figure out what the problem is with a room and it may frustrate me beyond words when I can't quite figure out what the problem is, but once a solution is found, I'm a happy camper.

The living and dining rooms are so so so close to being done, so close.  Can't wait!

Cheers,

3 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! And I love the gold square frames! You know where I find awesome frames? At Loblaw's Superstore! Gorgeous and affordable ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hardware is the jewellry of furniture. Love what you chose! I think pattern inside that hutch would look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that exact hardware on my Ikea re-designed sideboard! I love the dropped pull, so simple and elegant! Lee Valley is full of amazing drool worthy hardware!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas