Homesense 101

Friday, September 13, 2013

I suppose you all know by now that I have a little thing for Homesense.  Our relationship continues to go strong and I thought that perhaps I could share a tip or two for those of you who are looking to decorate your home with some pieces from Homesense.

Because there is just so much to love in one store, it's super important to go with a plan.  I mean, don't get me wrong, it's also a fab place to go to simply browse, but if you are looking for something specific, write it down to help you stay on track because it is so easy to get sidetracked when the shelves are full of amazing pieces!

So that's key. Write it down.  Jot down the colours you're looking for or the colours of the space you're shopping for, the shape and the style.  Are you looking for a modern piece or something a little more traditional.  These details matter and having a list will help you stay focused.

be sure to check the book section, amazing deals and perfect for styling!

Know the measurements (one should always have a measuring tape in their purse, nothing worse than bringing a gorgeous piece home, only to find out that it's either too big or to small).  Forgot yours at home? Check the front of the store....there should be some paper measuring tapes hanging up. If not, don't be shy!  Ask one of the sales associates if you could borrow theirs.

One thing about Homesense that is crazy true is that things don't always stay in the store long.  If there is something there that you love but you're not sure how it will look once you get it home, buy it.  You have 10 days to return the item, take advantage of that.  There have been many times when I've have chosen to not buy something only to completely regret that decision and so I head back to the store later that day and the item is gone.  You don't want this to happen to you.

Remember that the store is full of lovely and amazing pieces and you will most likely love a slew of items, but that doesn't mean that they are going to work with your space.  That's the biggest mistake that I used to make. Thinking that because I loved something it should all work together.  Not so, not so at all.

Be patient. I kid you not, the perfect item will most likely turn up, you just need to be patient.  Don't settle for something that is "ok". You'll be happy you waited, I promise.

Be creative. Remember this lamp?

a whole lot of Homesense happening here! The lantern, agate coasters and the lamp

Yup, you're right. It was orange, a little spray paint and voila. It's the perfect lamp for our family room.

Most of all, have fun!

I have a few more tips and will share them with you in another post!

Cheers,

PS these are all my personal opinions and tips.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tips! They are very helpful because every time I go house shopping I buy almost everything. I need a list and plan ahead.


    -Vogue&Heels
    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love LOVE homesense! Most of my home furnishings and decor are from there :)

    XO Leanne
    http://fresh-season.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always carry a tape measure with me, too! :) I have been seen many a times taking that out and measuring furniture. I love your styling. Very chic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas