Master Bedroom Makeover

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

If you're following me on either Pinterest or Instagram, then you probably already know that I've started to think about decorating our master bedroom.  Let me say this, when it comes to decorating the house, I basically have free rein, except for two rooms: the basement and the master bedroom.  For the master, hubs has asked me to not make it "too feminine".  Justified.

That being said, it's a sad state of affairs.  The only problem is the budget is small, super small.  So for now, I want to work with what we have with the exception of the side tables.  For those, I plan to find something vintage that I can refinish or I'll join the Ikea hack club (probably what I will end up doing) and paint one of their super dressers white and I'll also add some gold hardware.

Here's what our room looks like now:



The headboard we bought years ago from Superstore. Yes. Superstore.  There's nothing really wrong with it, but it needs to change, I don't love it at all.

At first I thought of painting it white, safe bet, but I dunno...the idea just wasn't sitting well with me.  Probably because the headboard itself isn't too interesting.  If it had more character, I'd be all for the white.

Then the lovely Alexandra suggested painting the headboard navy with a glossy finish.  Bam!  I had considered the idea, but I like to play it safe so I dismissed it pretty much right away.

Now I'm back to thinking I should at least give it a try. Why not, right? I can always paint it white afterwards if I don't like the way it looks.

The kids and I headed to Lowe's and I picked up a few paint chips and you know what?!  I think I'm gonna do it!



I picked a few with grey undertones and others with purple undertones, thinking that they would have a softer feel.  But I'm also really loving the crispness of the pure navy.

Super hard to get a great picture, but I'm leaning towards this guy:

it's showing up darker than it looks in person.  the white is for the bedside tables

This project will be pretty inexpensive, so I think it will be fun to have it nearly all complete relatively quickly.  I also have a gorgeous vintage slipper chair that we inherited from hubs Grandmother.  I'm going to reupholster it myself (oh geez, here we go again!).

Cheers,

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh I love the navy! I also have Rast bedside tables (but I only have stained one of them lol shhhhhh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The navy would be great with hits of a soft lilac/grey , white walls & furniture with gold hardware, I can picture it & it looks lovely. I look at design as an experiment- it's only paint right? {www.thepinkzipper.blogspot.ca}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to following your bedroom makeover on Instagram!

    p.s. We have grey walls in our bedroom that I love. They're painted in Martha Setwart's Chinchilla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it all but am unsure about the fabric. It's hard to tell the scale from the pic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas