The Problem With Decorating

Monday, September 17, 2012

Well, it can be darn frustrating.  Most of the time, I feel as though I have a perfectly clear idea as to how I want to decorate our house.  I have a game plan for each and every room and know just how I want them to look once finished.

Then I have days that I feel completely lost and clueless.  I feel as though I don't have a clue as to what I want or what I'm looking for.  Days like today.  I have to admit, I'm slightly frustrated today.  Days like today are an eye opener.

Often times I have to remind myself that a) I'm not a decorator or designer b) even designers get things wrong and c) to take a chill pill.

You see, it will come together, I'm sure it will but I need to be patient.  I need to take a step back, grab my magazines, hope online and search for inspiration.  I have to accept that some items will look great in the store, but not in my house or not when I intended on putting them.  This is what will get me back on track, crossing my arms and pouting isn't going to get a room finished.

Today, is a perfect example of what not to do.  What brought this on?  I'll show you.

I spotted this table and loved it!  Thought I finally found the perfect coffee table for the living room:


Then I got to thinking about how it would look with the side tables I recently purchased and the gold mirror that I'm waiting to hang:


Hmmmm, not so sure anymore.  I know that there are "rules" to decorating, you don't mix this with that or that with this.  But truth, I don't know even 1/8 of them.  I buy what I like and hope that they all go well together, that's how I work.  So yes, back to the table and thinking......so then I think that I don't know what I'm doing, that I'm just flying by the seat of my pants and well that there, just bothers me to no end.  Am I going to buy the table? I might try it out to see how it looks.

Then I had a second fail.  I jumped for joy when I saw this painting.  It has texture, it was the right colours and the right size.  I thought for sure that it would look fantastic above the couch in the family room.



Nope, not so much.  Two fails in one day, not good.

And that's when taking a step back has to happen.  I need to get back on the right track and not take things so personally.  It's not a reflection of me having poor taste.  Pull yourself together Julie.

So here's to encouraging you to keep going if you ever at times feel this way too.  We'll get there, that's a promise.

Cheers,


2 comments:

  1. rules are made to be broken especially in decorating! You have great taste and I'm sure it will all come together for you.

    I think the painting you chose could still work in the family room just not above the couch. Is there another smaller wall? Above the couch needs some colour and perhaps a horizontal rectangular shape or a tryptic of square or vertical rect shapes. To keep it modern perhaps 3 brightly coloured photos with huge white mat boards and a white frame.

    Happy decorating!
    c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear ya sister...its tough and when you get it wrong it can be such a pain...but keep at it! it will come together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas