Guacamole Inspired Avocado Toast

Wednesday, September 6, 2017


One of our sons is a rather picky eater.  It's incredible how sensitive his tastebuds are.  Even when I try to sneak food into a recipe, he calls me out.  We recently discovered that he absolutely loves guacamole (riddle me that, I dunno, but guacamole doesn't seem to be the likely choice for picky eaters...or does it?!).  Anyhow, this means that we've been eating our fair share of guacamole as of late, which is fine by all of us!

That gave me an idea for a recipe.  I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but somedays I could honestly (and well, I totally do, shame, I know) go without.  One thing that I do reach for those mornings that I feel like eating prior to 9am is toast.  Toast and avocado is definitely not something new and though I've tried a few recipes and combos of our own, nothing really stuck.

Today I tried frying some bread in olive oil and essentially used the same ingredients that you would use to make guacamole, plus a few extras, and oh my word, it was delicious!

There's something so delectable about fried bread (think grilled cheese...mmmmm).  It crisps the edges beautifully and the centre stays soft, the hit of olive oil (or butter, whichever you prefer to use) is an added bonus!  The only ingredient that you wouldn't find in guacamole (other than the toast of course) is the cheese.  I went with feta for this recipe, but am tempted to try it with goats cheese too.








Mmmm, so yummy!

Here's the recipe for you to try!

Guacamole Inspired Avocado Toast

Ingredients

  • a slice of your favourite toast (I used Bavarian Multi-Grain bread)
  • olive oil (approx 1/2 - 1tbsp)
  • feta cheese
  • 1/2 of a ripe avocado
  • 5-6 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
  • 1 tsp diced red onion (or more if preferred)
  • splash of fresh lime juice
  • crushed chili pepper flakes
  • salt to taste
Directions
  1. Drizzle olive oil in pan and heat over medium heat (careful, oil burns easily, so keep an eye on it!)
  2. place bread of choice in skillet, frying each side until a golden brown (you may need to add more oil to fry the second side)
  3. place bread on plate when both sides are done frying
  4. top with crushed feta (or cheese of preference)
  5. top with avocado and spread over entire piece of bread
  6. add halved cherry tomatoes and chopped onions
  7. add lime juice over entire piece of bread (I used approx half of the juice from 1/8 slice of a lime), salt and crushed red pepper flakes to taste

This is simply delectable and you could easily make more than one at a time!  Especially since you only use 1/2 of an avocado per piece of toast.  Let me know if you give this recipe a try!  I think it would be absolutely amazing with some arugula or similar greens, no?  I can also see this as a great  meal for lunch, too!


Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas