A Touch of Colour & Here Goes Nothing!

Monday, December 10, 2012

Last week I stopped in at Michaels to scope out their canvases and it just so happened that they were having a 60% off sale.  I grabbed one and headed home with a big plan.  I wanted to make something to hang above the couch in the family room.  I was a little ambitious and bought a larger canvas.  Yup.  You read correctly.  My plan was to paint three large intertwined circles with black paint and a wide brush.  I did just that and it was absolutely awful.  Like, how did I ever think I could tackle this awful.

So I painted over the entire thing with white paint.  I figured that now, I had nothing to lose and would attempt an abstract painting.

Now, I have to be totally honest with you.  I know nothing about painting.  Nothing.  I've always wanted to try painting, but I found it to be so very intimidating because I knew nothing about it.  I can only imagine how much there is to learn and all of techniques, paints, brushes, tips, etc.  I know none of this.

Anyhow, long story short.  I headed out again and purchased a few inexpensive tubes of acrylic paint and after searching Pinterest for a little inspiration, I got to work.

Another bit of honesty, I can't believe I'm sharing this with you.  But this is my blog and I'm doing my best to "keep it real" so, here it goes:



this is after I added a touch of black

It's pretty tricky trying to capture the true colours (they look darker & bolder in the 2nd pic that they do in real life) and texture (kudos to all of you who take amazing photos of your artwork).  It's not yet finished, but I think I'm getting there.  Some of the colours need to be toned down and such.

I think I'll hang it in either the living room or the hallway.  The colours just aren't right for the family room.

There you go!  My first attempt at painting.  I'll be sure to share the finished product with you too...Whenever that is!

Cheers,

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas