I'm Baking....again!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hello lovelies.  Hope your Tuesday is shaping up to be a fine one indeed!

So hubs has had to adopt a gluten free lifestyle.  All in all, it hasn't been too bad. I mean, there are some challenges to eating gluten free, but it hasn't been horrible or that big of an adjustment.  I suppose it's easier and I feel this way about it since it's just him vs our entire family having to change our diet.

Because of this, I now bake gluten free deserts for holidays.  I'm no pro-baker, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that before, but I do love to eat a dessert or two, so finding gluten free pie recipes was a must.

I was happy to find this recipe for a gluten free pumpkin pie.  I use this crust recipe for my apple pies as well, which I made yesterday to enjoy with our not Thanksgiving but Thanksgiving dinner (we're celebrating Thanksgiving a little later in the month since hubs was away for Thanksgiving day, but still wanted to have a special dinner since it was after all, a long weekend).

The recipe is pretty straight forward.  The only issue I have is that this stuff:


It's crumbly.  No, it's super duper crumbly.  Thankfully I'm used to the texture now that I've worked with the dough enough times.  I quite literally warn my family when I'm about to roll the dough out so that they know not to bother me.  Why, you may ask?  Because honestly, it takes every ounce of my being for me not to go crazy!  I mean, if you just look at the dough, it will fall apart!

It's now a joke around our house when I give out the "I'm about to roll the dough warning", we all laugh, but I have to admit, it wasn't so funny the first couple of times that I put this recipe to use!

hubs managed to capture a blurry pic of the "look". consider this a warning! ha!

I use this recipe for the filling.  I just substitute gluten free all purpose flour for the all purpose flour.


The end result is a delicious apple pie.  It may not be a picture perfect pie, but it is delicious.


Do you do any gluten free baking?

Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. It looks amazing!! I don't do gluten free baking but my aunt does as her little boy has allergies and she comes up with some awesome stuff! Haha I love the "rolling out the dough" look...Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing I like more than to challenge myself in the baking department.....Fair play to your gluten free baking..I always feel great when people enjoy my home baking.
    J
    http://www.lifelovesand.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas