When Less is More

Friday, January 18, 2013

-my own photo, fake florals-

Good day peeps.  How is everyone? How has this week been treating you?

As I mentioned here, I'm focusing on cutting back my spending.  I could say ours, but in reality, it's mainly me who does all of the shopping in our home, from getting groceries to clothes for the kids, etc.  I have a good knack for buying things, especially if they are on sale.  I'm pretty darn frugal so it's not that I'm buying expensive items, I just buy a lot of items and several times a week.  An extra $10, another $15 there...it all adds up and quickly!

A funny thing happens when you're in your thirties.  You learn so much about yourself.  You kind of find "you".  You also grow up a lot and see things in a different light.  In all honesty, I don't get what I was buying so much "stuff" for in the first place because really, we didn't need half of it.

Want and need, two totally different things

We have so very much to be thankful for and "need" so very little to be happy.  It's easy to want stuff when everything is so easily accessible and businesses are doing such a great job at luring you in with their mega sales.  I can't even begin to tell you how bad I am when I see something on sale, terrible.

Anyhow, long story short.  I found that if I unplug every once in a while and just sit back and watch, I'll be reminded of just how lucky I am and in turn, I need and want less.

It made me wonder what was the point of buying so much?!

The answer....I didn't have one.

I've gained a new perspective of what my priorities should be and though it may be very obvious to others, it wasn't so much to me.

I've gotten more done around the house in one week than I have in 6 months.  I no longer have that nagging feeling of all I have to do and I'm much more relaxed.  And all of this by just staying home.  It's been a huge eye opener in SUCH an amazing way.

I'm still focusing on decorating our house, that is still a goal for this year.  And heck, I'm still shopping, I'm just not using it as a time filler or something to do.  That's when it gets dangerous.

Deep thoughts, I know...but just wanted to fill you in on where I'm at.

With that, a few things I wanted to share:

Anna's fantastic DIY Gemstone bracelet

Meg's brand spankin new fashion line

Rhi's lessons from a social media free weekend

Meredith's vision for 2013


Paloma's blog continues to be on fire!

Cheers,
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas