Organizing The Kitchen

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hello lovely friends! What have you been up to the past couple of days?

My days have been filled with organizing, it seems to be the theme in my life right now and I'm going with it.  I figure it will do more good than bad, at least I hope it will!

I have to be very honest and tell you that I'm going through slight shopping detox.  Not going out shopping for anything is so unfamiliar to me.  Shopping includes going to the grocery store, costco, starbucks, etc.  It's unreal how much I used to shop.  I very rarely went to the mall though, that's the kicker!  The money was mainly being spent at the grocery store on items we totally didn't need.  Don't get me wrong, I still treat myself and the family with yummy treats, but I don't just buy for the sake of buying and that's key!

So yes, back to organizing.  I find that in order for a budget to truly work you have to be very organized.  Therefore I'm getting back in to meal planning.  

Do you do this?  Have you ever done it?  

I highly recommend meal planning, it's amazing how much you can save by planning out your meals, but it also simplifies life in an enormous way!  I used to meal plan all of the time and then I eventually fell off of the bandwagon.....well, I'm now jumping back on!

Now, instead of standing in the kitchen wondering what I'm going to make 30 mins before we usually eat supper, I will know exactly what it is I'm cooking and because of that, we'll be enjoying more delicious meals more often!

I've already planned out 1/2 of February.  I've gotten slightly side tracked with organizing and purging my recipes.  I'm creating a binder with sections for the different types of recipes....appetizers, main course, deserts, fun things for kiddos, etc.  That's what I'm doing today.

So fun!

Shop Update:


save 20% on all Coupon/Receipt Holders until Jan 29th! (prices already reflect discount)

Remember I had mentioned that I was making some decisions in regards to the shop?  Well, after chatting with some amazing friends, and taking a step back to decide what it is I really want, I have come up with a plan that will work for me.  (Thank you to all of you who helped me out, absolutely priceless, can't thank you enough, truly meant so much to me to have you to talk to!).   With spring right around the corner and so many lovely new fabrics, I will be having a sale in the next little while.  A winter clearance sale....stay tuned for more info in the next week or so! Exciting!

That's what I'm up to this week....how about you?

Have you made the Project Make It pledge by the way?  You can find out more here.  Don't forget to join the Project Make It Flickr pool to share your lovely finished craft projects as well!  You can find the group here.  


I will be featuring some of the finished projects here on the blog every now and then, so be sure to link the photos back to your blog post if you have one!

Cheers,

5 comments:

  1. I plan all of our meals, one week at a time, and then use that plan to create the weekly grocery list(s). It has saved me both time AND money, as we have almost zero waste. Other than pantry staples, if we aren't going to use it within 7 days, I don't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously need to learn how to meal plan now that I am back at work. I think it will be one of our biggest challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's exactly what I'm hoping to do! I want to eliminate those "extras" I always buy and then end up throwing out.

    I just realized that I don't have to do the entire month all at once, not sure why I thought that's the way it was done, but geesh, so hard! now I'll be planning in two week increments, much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to "quit" shopping a few years ago, and it's been hard! But we're so close to reaching our goals I can taste it! I'm anticipating it actually being hard to get back into shopping when I'm able to...we'll see!

    Oh, and for meal planning, you should check out E-Mealz...it's fantastic, and cheap!

    http://e-mealz.com/amember/go.php?r=158164&i=l0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm I really like the idea of planning meals and I think your binder idea is great. I think we need to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas