Have You Started?

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Have you started any projects yet?  Have you entered the Project Make It 2011?  You can find out more here.

I've started my first project, the yarn wreath.

What I've learned thus far.....

  • it's true, as mentioned in the tutorial I used, imperfect = perfect
  • it's recommended that if you use a hay/grass wreath to keep the plastic on....well, the store I bought mine from took the plastic off, easy fix = put some saran wrap around it when you get home!
  • overlapping not only looks better (in my humble opinion), but it truly blends in and gives the wreath a thicker look
  • it takes time to wrap the wreath....a looonnnng time
  • don't worry if you don't cover the wreath perfectly the first time around, that's when overlapping comes into play
  • you can move in the opposite direction when overlapping....who knew?!
  • make sure you pull tightly (but not too tightly).  It looks better, but if you forget, once again, overlapping will fix that problem in a jiffy
  • make sure you keep an eye on the interior of the wreath and the top, I missed spots in the interior because I was so focused on the top or front....but once again....you got it, problem can be easily fixed with overlapping (I promise, won't say it again).
  • when cutting the circles of felt for your flowers, it doesn't have to be a perfect circle (at all) in the beginning since you'll be cutting waves into it later
Here's a quick pic (I apologize about the poor quality, it was taken with my iPhone) of mine so far.....



Few last thoughts.....these are fun to make, really, I have enjoyed it!  Making felt flowers, awesome, will definitely be making more for other at home projects!

Cheers,

5 comments:

  1. Oh, fun! I've always wanted to make one of these. Heading over to check out Project Make It! I'm intrigued!

    p.s. {in response to your comment on my blog} I know! Isn't that rug fabulous!? I think I'm leaning more toward neutral...I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I will definitely take a look at the tutorial you linked to earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. julie, awesome! thanks for the tips, i will definitely be making a spring one for the door. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks ladies! I'm totally thrilled with how fun it has been to make, even though wrapping took a long time! It has filled a need to be creative (other than the shop) that I've had for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is SUPER cute! i've always wanted to make one of these, i guess i will have to wait until next xmas!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas