The Jar

Monday, January 10, 2011

Yes, the jar.  What jar? The money jar, the budget jar, the allowance jar.....you may pick what you want to call it.  I think I'll go with the spending jar, or perhaps the pretty jar, sounds a little better.

Okay, let me tell you what I'm talking about.  One of my resolutions for 2011 is to spend less.  I have a tendency to spend money without really thinking, and that's a terrible, terrible, terrible habit.  This year, I want to simplify life.  We have so much"stuff" that we just don't use or need.  We started off by purging the kids toys.  Donating anything that was in good condition and that they no longer used.  We were absolutely flabbergasted by the amount of toys that we've bought them and that they no longer use, it was just crazy.  My problem,

I see something at a good deal, and I just can't pass it up.....need it or not, I buy.

So, this is where the pretty jar comes in.  I've put myself on a weekly spending budget.  I get a certain amount of money to spend on whatever I want and that's it.  I've budgeted other things as well.  I can do a number at the grocery store, picking things up that we can totally live without.  Do you know how hard it is for me to stick to buying only those items on my list? It's almost impossible, as if a magnetic force is pulling me back into the store to buy more! No, no longer!

To make it even tougher, I am on a cash spending budget (a la Til Debt Do Us Part).  So I took a jar that we had in the house, added some washi tape to it (had to add a little personal touch) and that's that.  It's where I'll keep my spending money.

Here it is....



Notice anything? Yup, it's empty!  I'm learning....quickly, it's somewhat painful, but I know I'll get used to it and in the end, it will be second nature (I hope!).

So, have you ever attempted a budget? Was it a success?  

I know that this is going to take time, as with most things, but I'm definitely committed.

I'll keep you posted on how the budget is going throughout the year.  Hopefully, the next time I share a picture of it, there will be at least be some money in it......

Cheers,

4 comments:

  1. K I'm inspired:)
    My husband and I read the Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey and have been using his tips ever since!
    It is liberating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to go and look at that book! You're the second person who has mentioned it. I love that we can feed off of each others enthusiasm and keep each other motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started a budget this month, I too am finding the money slips away so easily. I entered in all my numbers for the month thinking I hadn't bought very much as it's not even mid month, only to find I'm done for the month. No more treats for Katie. I would also like to read said book.
    (I think I'm signed in as Adam, too lazy to sign out, its me Katie)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice idea, julie! i need to do the same. i am in the habit of using my credit card for everything, and while i pay it off in full every month, it makes it too easy to just buy whatever i feel like, without any accountability til the end of the month!
    anyhow, i am reading 'smart couples finish rick' with my husband, and it is giving us some great ideas and impetus to get saving. i have also heard good things about Total Money Makeover, and maybe i'll try to find it at the library [saving money! haha].
    thanks for the budget jar idea. and i think mine will be empty pretty quickly the first couple of months. my downfall? the dreaded coffee shop. sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a little note!

 

© 2010-2014 Julie Shaver. All Rights Reserved. | Policies | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas